1 (612) email@example.com
An associate with Kinney & Lange, Andrew W. Werner focuses his practice on intellectual property law in both transactional and litigation settings, focusing primarily on patent matters. This includes international IP application filings and prosecution such as Paris Convention patent applications, PCT applications and related national stage patent applications, and the coordination and supervision of global IP portfolios.
In addition to his patent prosecution work, Andrew conducts patentability and freedom-to-operate studies, advises clients on intellectual property strategies, and prepares opinions of counsel regarding product infringement or non-infringement, enforceability, and validity. Andrew also assists with litigation matters by preparing motions and conducting product research.
Prior to his time at Kinney & Lange, Andrew worked as a Patent Liaison Technical Aid at 3M in MN and as Aerospace Engineering Intern at Lake Engineering in Long Lake, MN.
Andrew received his Bachelor of Arts Degree in Applied Physics from Saint John’s University and his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from William Mitchell College of Law. During his time at William Mitchell, Andrew committed 300+ hours in the William Mitchell Intellectual Property Law Clinic assisting independent inventors in the areas of patent, copyright, and trademark law. In his spare time, Andrew enjoys golfing, traveling, and Australian Rules Football.
- Patent Freedom to Operate Searches, Opinions, Techniques, and Studies, (ABA, 2017), co-author
- Overview of Intellectual Property for Business Lawyers, Kinney & Lange, P.A. (annual)
- Intellectual Property Law for Business Lawyers, Kinney & Lange, P.A. (annual)
Blog PostsSee All
- Coordinated patent clearance studies for billion-dollar product lines; advised client regarding risk management and patent avoidance strategies, and prepared associated opinions of counsel
- Prepared freedom-to-operate, non-infringement and invalidity opinions
- Prepared, prosecuted and supervised hundreds of patent applications, including PCT and foreign counterparts, on a variety of technologies on behalf of multi-national corporations, medium-sized businesses, small businesses and individual inventors
- Participated in large-scale patent portfolio management
- Participated in patent landscape studies for large corporations